Chances are you've added tons of Xbox Live friends onto your friends' list but sometimes you don't want to be bothered with their annoying invites to games or chats. Sometimes you just want to log on and watch some Netflix in peace. That's completely understandable. In this post, I'll show you how to sign into your Xbox and sign in so that no one can see that you're online.
Before I begin, I must admit that this isn't some tutorial to show you a hidden or recently added feature. This is a process that you will have to follow every single time that you want to log in without everyone knowing that you're online.
I used to love allowing my Xbox to sign me in right when I would turn it on. No longer will you be able to do this if you'd like to sign in anonymously. Sorry.
First step is to disable your account from signing in automatically. Either make it so that no account signs in automatically or allow another account to sign in automatically. Once this is done, now you are ready to sign in invisibly whenever you'd like!
Next time you turn on your console and want to sign in anonymously, you will simply turn on your console as before.
- If you have decided to not log any account in, follow these directions: Once your console has finished starting up, you should be at a screen to choose which gamertag you want to sign on as. Once you've reached the screen, click the Xbox button in the center of your controller. This will pull up your Xbox Guide. Scroll over to the far right hand side until you get to Preferences. Select Preferences. Choose Online Status, and then choose "Appear Offline". You can also choose to allow Messenger to sign in offline which may be useful too. Now exit the Xbox Guide. Sign into your profile and BAM! You've just signed into your Xbox Live gamertag without anyone noticing.
- If you have decided to allow your Xbox to log in a different account, follow these directions: Once your console has booted up and is at the Xbox dashboard for the other user, click the center Xbox button on your controller to bring up the Xbox Guide. Scroll over to the far right hand side until you get to Preferences. Select Preferences which should be beneath Profile. Choose Online Status, and then choose "Appear Offline". You can also choose to allow Messenger to sign in offline which may be useful too. Now exit the Xbox Guide. Sign into your profile and BAM! You've just signed into your Xbox Live gamertag without anyone noticing.
This is a bit of work to simply sign in without anyone noticing. Lots of other online social services allow for signing in anonymously including many other Microsoft services like the former MSN Messenger! Hopefully one day Microsoft will give us a simple option to sign in anonymously. For now, we'll have to stick to this tedious method.
Let's say that one day, you don't feel like going through all of this and you just want to sign in, but you're worried that that one annoying person is online and will annoy you once you sign on. But if they're not online, you couldn't care less about signing offline or online. In these circumstances, I use an app on my mobile phone (both Android and iOS devices have many apps that can be used) to find out which of my Xbox Live friends are online at the moment. Most of these apps do not sign you into your Xbox Live gamertag so you don't have anything to worry about in terms of them noticing if you've popped up online or not. If this person is online and you want to avoid them, use the above method to sign in offline. If not, then sign in as available!
- ► 2016 (33)
- ► 2015 (25)
- ► 2014 (57)
- Warframe PC Review - 7.9/10
- Perhaps I Was A Bit Too Hasty... Microsoft Reflection
- Thomas Was Alone PC Review - 9.8/10
- Memorial Day
- PlayStation Jailbreaking
- Goodbye, Xbox. You shall be missed.
- The New Xbox
- It's Almost Here!
- Reus PC Review - 8/10
- Did Facebook Restrict You for No Reason?
- How to Sign-in to Xbox Live Offline
- How to Turn Off Auto-Renew on Xbox Live Membership
- Antichamber PC Review - 9/10
- ▼ May (13)